Avoiding Abandoned Property

Keeping Your Franklin Templeton Account Active

Each state and U.S. territory has its own laws regarding abandoned and/or unclaimed property and looks at factors like owner-initiated contact, owner-initiated account activity and/or returned mail to determine if property is unclaimed. Due to these laws, financial organizations, like Franklin Templeton, are required to report and turn over property to the account owner’s last known state of residence if certain activities do not occur concerning an account within an identified time period. The process of turning over property to the state is known as “escheatment.”

Therefore, it is very important to ensure that your account remains active, according to your state’s or territory’s specific laws.

How Can I Keep My Franklin Templeton Mutual Fund Shares From Being Escheated?

Actions you can take to help keep your mutual fund shares safe from being escheated include:

  • Ensuring that your contact information, such as your address and telephone number, is up-to-date, and notifying us immediately when it changes.
  • Promptly responding to any communications from us requesting that you take action to keep your account active.

In addition, you should take one of the following actions at least once a year, which may qualify as customer initiated contact/activity in your state:

  • Initiating non-automated transactions.
  • Contacting us in writing or by telephone about your account
  • Logging in to your account online at franklintempleton.com
  • Calling our automated telephone service, and using your PIN to access your account information.
  • Cashing any dividend or redemption checks upon receipt.

NOTE: Automated transactions, such as the reinvestment of dividends or amounts paid directly to your bank account, are generally not considered account activity.

How does Franklin Templeton work to keep my mutual fund shares from being escheated?

Depending on the requirements of your state of residence, and if we can’t determine if we’ve had contact with you within the time frame required by your state, we may send you a letter. The letter will ask that you take action by a specific date, by one of the following methods, to keep your account active:

  • Sign and return the letter.
  • Contact Shareholder Services about your account.
  • Log into our designated website referenced in the letter:
    • www.stateinactivity.com/franklintempleton or www.inactiveresponse.com/franklintempleton
    • Input the Control Number provided in the letter

We will rely on you to respond quickly, preferably using one of the methods noted.

What happens if my mutual fund shares are escheated?

Each state and U.S. territory has its own requirements for individuals to find and claim escheated property. Several websites, including commercial ones, allow you to search for unclaimed property. One non-commercial site, unclaimed.org, allows you to search by individual state.

Account Resources

Main Topics

Additional Topics