Changing a Joint Tenancy Due to Divorce or Death
Changes due to divorce. Provide a completed Shareholder Request Form signed by all current registered owners. Each registered owner must have his or her signature guaranteed by a bank, savings and loan association, trust company, credit union, broker/dealer or any other “eligible guarantor institution,” as noted on the form.
Separate signature guaranteed forms are acceptable, provided that the instructions noted in each form are consistent.
Divorce decrees are not acceptable to remove a joint tenant with rights of survivorship from a registration.
Any outstanding shares in certificate form must be returned to Franklin Templeton Investor Services, LLC, through a traceable method of delivery (i.e. express, certified or registered mail etc.).
You may need to complete and sign a new Account Application.
Changes due to death. Upon the death of a joint tenant, you may remove the name of the deceased from the registration by providing the following:
- A completed Shareholder Request Form signed by the surviving joint
tenant(s).Each signature must be guaranteed unless the shares are simply being transferred to the surviving joint tenant(s)and no other changes or transactions are taking place. A signature guarantee may be obtained from a bank, savings and loan association, trust company, credit union, broker/dealer or any other “eligible guarantor institution,” as noted on the form.
- A photocopy of the death certificate.
- A photocopy of an Inheritance Tax Waiver or Consent to Transfer from the applicable state or territory tax authority may be required if the deceased owner legally resided in Indiana, Ohio, Oklahoma, Puerto Rico, Rhode Island, or Tennessee. If the deceased owner legally resided in any of these locations, please call us at (866) 821-7519 for more information.
- Any outstanding shares in certificate form must be returned to Franklin Templeton Investor Services, LLC, through a traceable method of delivery (i.e. express, certified or registered mail etc.).
- An Account Application completed and signed by the surviving joint
Please call us at (866) 821-7519 if you have questions about the information provided above. Customer Service Representatives are available Monday through Friday, from 5:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Pacific Time.
You need Adobe Acrobat Reader 6.0 or higher to view and print PDF documents. Download a free version from Adobe's website.
For US residents only.
Clicking OK below will take you to an independent site. Information and services provided on this independent site are not reviewed by, guaranteed by, or endorsed by Franklin Templeton or its affiliates. Please keep in mind that this independent site's terms and conditions, privacy and security policies, or other legal information may be different from those of Franklin Templeton's site. Franklin Templeton is not liable for any direct or indirect technical or system issues, consequences, or damages arising from your use of this independent website.