Transitioning into Retirement
Refocus Your Strategy
You may have been building up your retirement savings for years. However, portfolios designed for saving are very different than portfolios designed for generating retirement income. This is the time to rethink and adjust your retirement strategy.
Consolidate Retirement Accounts
Like many, you may have multiple 401(k) accounts from previous jobs and several IRAs. With retirement approaching, simplifying your retirement accounts may make sense. Use our Rollover Planning Calculator to review your options.
(Don’t Wait Until You're Retired!)
Advice in this phase is more valuable than ever. It may be the most critical part of your retirement planning. If you haven’t been working with a financial advisor, now is a crucial time to start, as some of these decisions are irrevocable. A financial advisor can educate you on important issues like:
- How to give your Social Security check a government-guaranteed boost
- The best time to take distributions from your 401(k) or IRA
- Finding the right investments
Top Three Concerns During Retirement1
Anticipating Your Expenses
It's helpful to think of retirement in terms of expenses. There are those that are less impacted by inflation - such as a fixed mortgage - and there are those that are sensitive to inflation - for example, health care expenses. Consider matching different expenses with different sources of income.
Assess Your Retirement Situation
To make the most of the time you spend with your advisor, it may be a good idea to get organized ahead of time by:
- Prioritizing your goals
- Calculating your expenses
- Determining your potential sources of income
- Franklin Templeton, Retirement Income Strategies and Expectations (RISE) Survey, 2011. Methodology: The Franklin Templeton Retirement Income Strategies and Expectations(RISE) survey was conducted among a sample of 2,046 adults comprising 1,020 men and 1,026 women 18 years of age or older. The survey was administered between September 15-18 and 19-21, 2011 by ORC International's Online CARAVAN®